What does Fireball do?
Climate change is causing more extreme weather events resulting in the increase of fire in Australia and globally in coming years, making early fire detection essential for the protection of human life, wildlife, infrastructure, and essential resources.
Fireball’s Early Detection and Assessment System called FUEGO provides a solution to this increasing problem. At the heart of our technology is an advanced deep machine learning software that fuses data from satellites and ground-based sensors to obtain optimal results from complex and dynamic situations. The software automatically analyses the collected data in real-time, disseminating electronic maps that assist emergency responders with intelligence to support tactical, strategic, and life-saving actions by providing detailed information of fire location, flame size, rates of spread, and spotting. Fireball’s FUEGO intelligence system can detect fires automatically within minutes and evaluate their growth in real-time, allowing for rapid, effective fire suppression. Even small fires are automatically detected within 3-5 minutes.
What does the engineering team do?
Our engineering team is a small dedicated team developing and maintaining a real-time data processing pipeline that is responsible for early fire detection.
The goals of the team are:
- develop stable and scalable solutions
- integrate, maintain and deploy containerised services (python based)
- maintain and improve AWS architecture and operational infrastructure
- improve algorithm performance for smoke detection
- build visualisation tools for external end-users
- collaborate with a distributed team
The core technologies currently in use in our development are:
- core language: Python
- database: PostgreSQL, PostGIS
- front-end: React, Leaflet
- infrastructure: AWS cloud services
- machine learning: Keras/Tensorflow
- project/task management: Jira
- source control: Github
Skills and Requirements
If you love programming and are eager to apply it to real-world problems then we want to meet you. A suitable candidate should have the following skills/capabilities:
- Strong technical background in software development or similar (bachelor level) with 2+ years of experience
- Expertise building responsive layouts with CSS and HTML
Experience building and debugging complex systems in both individual and team environments
- Experience developing with modern browser technologies
- Strong UX and design sensibilities and a good attention to detail
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Experience with collaborative software development – source control, agile, continuous deployment, unit testing, documentation
Additional experience desirable, but not required:
- Spatial data visualization plugins and tools (i.e. Leaflet) experience
- Using Docker containers
- Knowledge of VueJS
- User-centric design experience
Front End Developer Role
As a developer you will be part of our Agile development team working on a 2-week sprint delivery cycle. You will be expected to work independently on sprint tasks, proactively requesting support and guidance as necessary. You will deliver good quality code with key documentation and unit tests. All code is peer reviewed — a process which you will also be expected to contribute to.
Front end developer contributions are made in the following key areas:
- Collaborate with the web lead and UX/UI designer to develop production level ReactJS components
- Create resilient code by implementing Jest tests
- Apply styling (via JSS and / or MaterialUI component props)
- Work multi-functionally with other teams to set and achieve company-wide engineering goals
- Implementing responsive UI features that work across a variety of mobile and desktop devices as indicated by project specifications & requirements
What we offer
- Flexible / remote working arrangements.
- Inclusive, equal and diverse culture.
- Exciting technology and greenfield products.
- Great Head Office location based on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
- Culture first principles, and more importantly, we believe in them.
How do you apply?
Include your CV/Cover letter/Github/etc. Tell us a little bit about yourself, your relevant experience and of course, why you want to be part of the Fireball team!